RE: changing AMerican reading habits

From: H.L. Smith (hank.l.smith@lmco.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 12:23:29 PDT

And it wouldn't take much digging to come up with volumes of stories,
especially once Alaska became a state, of the Russian "Bear" aircraft
habitually patrolling our northern borders listening, probing our response
times to "near" incursions into U.S. airspace, etc. The same sort of thing
continues even now with submarine activity; remember the Russian sub tragedy
just a short while ago. Such "games" have existed for quite some time,
rarely, if ever, however, have pilots made them into dangerous
"cat-and-mouse" or "chicken" contests due to the inherent danger surrounding
such encounters. This latest incidence smacks of a lack of professionalism
beyond any consideration of intellectualism or politics.

Hank Smith