RE: who said?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 16:19:00 PDT

Dear Anna--

You are right 110% that my description of characterization of Russian
Vygotskian school is imprecise, stereotyping, overreaching and so on. In my
defense, I would say that I warned people (in earlier postings) that I'm
caricaturing and exaggerating to make the contrast more visible. You are
right that there are plenty examples of Russian scholars working in dialogic
tradition -- to list a few Bakhtin, Bibler, Arsen'ev. You also right that
you can find the Hegel-Marx-Vygotsky tradition of historical progressivism
in many non-Russian Vygotskian scholars. My apology for that.

> And rejection is opposite to a dialogue, isn't it? --
> this being my
> main message, by the way. Or otherwise, I do not know what rejection is
> about...
As to rejecting cultural-historical progressivism and dialoging with it at
the same time, I think it is possible. My favorite argument is that for
dialoguing you do not need to agree with your partner of dialogue. For
example, behaviorist critique contributed to development and strengthening
cognitive perspective in 50s and 60s. They were in dialogic relation with
each other.

Specifically you can find a lot of dialoguing about directionality of
development (the key concept in the Hegel-Marx-Vygotsky tradition) with
cultural-historical progressivism approaches while rejecting its
ethnocentrism in work of Jaan Valsiner, Jay Lemke, and my own work (sorry
for missing many others).

> As to Davydov: I happened to see him giving talks in Germany, for
> example. I
> was struck by how difficult it was for people there to make sense of his
> words... I do blame the effects of being taken out of context (in many
> senses of this expression, e.g., of him talking in an alien context with
> often bad translation, of others not knowing his philosophy and
> psychological framework etc) for this.
I knew Vasilii Vasil'evich Davydov personally during the end of 70s -- early
80s and in my recollection of Davydov's presentations, debates, speeches,
and lectures (in MSU), I think that Mike's depiction of his position is
correct (at least for these years and my exposure of Davydov). It would be
helpful (at least for me) if you can present Davydov's quotes where he
appreciates diversity, criticizes ethnocentrism in the notion of progress,
and/or considers truth as a social construction.

I want to emphasize that Davydov was an extremely interesting and important
scholar and must-know for sociocultural/CHAT family of approaches (our many
discussion of Davydov's ideas on XMCA is evidence for that). I also agree
with Anna that sometimes if it is difficult for people in US to understand
and fully appreciate Davydov because of a lack of shared conceptual (and
probably cultural and historical) context and background.

What do you think?

Eugene