Re: community & community of practice

From: Elizabeth A Wardle (ewardle@iastate.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 07:37:54 PDT

I agree with you, Julie. My reading of Wenger's 1998 book, _COP_, was that
his idea of communities of practice, well defined in that book, seems quite
parallel to the idea of activity systems. (I did not understand COP this
way until this book, however. _LPP_ did not explain the concept of COPs
very clearly, in my view.) I realize that this seems contradictory, since
one part of the AT triangle is communities of practice. But I see Wenger's
COP as parallel to an activity system in some ways (if we have to make a
parallel), rather than to the community of practice piece of the AT
triangle. It seems that Wenger's community of practice is another way of
looking at the same thing that the activity system looks at. Charles Nelson
wrote, "the community in an activity are those subjects motivated towards
the same object, whereas in other perspectives, it's often the people
engaged in the same actions, whether or not they are working towards the
same object." I would argue that's true. So isn't this a question about
unit of analysis? And couldn't you conduct an AT analysis of a COP, in
Wenger's sense of the term? For example, to examine whether or not people
engaged in the same activity are or are not working toward the same object?
If we find that they are working toward the same object, perhaps we are
seeing a clear activity system. If we find they are not working toward the
same object, perhaps we have something else, like Wenger's "boundary
practice" or members of different activity systems who just happen to be in
close physical proximity. Am I dreadfully confused?

Elizabeth