Re: community & community of practice

From: Geoff Hayward (geoff.hayward@educational-studies.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 23:51:49 PDT

Is there a sense, however, in which YE's idea learning by exapnsion within a
community is fundamentally different from the idea of learners as legitimate
peripheral participants in Lave and Wenger's idea of a community of
practice? I have always worried that the L&W model implies a conservative
and reactive approach to learning whilst Engestrom seems to be arguing
against such a reactive view of learning.

Dr Geoff Hayward
SKOPE Theme 3
Department of Educational Studies
University of Oxford