RE: Re(3): history-text relations

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 12:42:48 PDT

Anna,

I confess that I have not been paying much attention to this thread but now
that you have so appropriately linked it with the reading of LBE, I see that
it is important to do so. Its interesting to me that you quoted the same
paragraph that provoked my comment on the horizontal/vertical metaphor. You
speak eloquently of progress and liberation and I am struggling to see how
we characterize progress, progress from what to what? Lower to higher?
Simple to complex? Specific to general? Narrow to broader? I take your point
that we should all make a conscious commitment to whatever conception of
progress that we prefer. But how does this avoid an endless relativism? Who
is the "we" that YE mentions as making value judgments? Multiple voices are
wonderful, harmony is even more appealing. Maybe, as David Russell suggests,
this will have to wait until we talk more about the notion of community.

I apologize for stepping so far out of the role of moderator but this is
something I have really been wrestling with........djc

P.S. I always though history was a discipline focused on "historically
interesting things" ; that is, people and events that historians thought
were interesting. No?