Re: community & community of practice

From: Barb Stuart (bstuart@uswest.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 12:22:16 PDT

David et al

What a great question.

In an AAHE 1999 Conference on Higher education John Seely Brown's keynote
"Learning& Playing in the Digital Age. Creating Learning Ecologies"
describes having "a chance to create a new kind of learning matrix, one
that I will call a learning ecology". He focuses on learning to learn,
coupling navigation to discovery and discovery to bricolage, then links to
judgements about veracity or significance. He calls the final dimension
'action'. He distinguishes between generations and how willing they are to
try new things. He describes navigation, experiential learning and
judgement all coming into play in situ and asks, when for example have we
lurked enough to try something ourselves? This is a pdf file and I don't
know how to cite it. (I couldn't open your site to see if you already
haveit)

For me, the difference is that Yrjos's community of praction or activity
theories seem much more oriented to a lived experience where action comes
first, more 3D than Brown's concept of matrix. Brown continues to talk
about Distributed Intelligence and Knowledge in a 2x2 cell matrix with
communities of practice in the center of all four cells. He defines
communitites of practice in this image as a 'social fabric that emerges
from sharing tasks over a substantial period of time.'

What do you think?

Regards,
Barb