Re: Chapter 1 and New Introduction

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 13:31:40 PDT

Dear Eric,

Noting the several references to Jung's collective unconscious does seem
to be a key to some evolving notions of "expansion."

At the same time YE states explicitly that "the gateway to understanding
expansion is neither the concept of collective unconscious nor that of
perspective but the concept of activity."

I take this to mean that YE finds the collective unconscious to be too
"mystical" a notion, not rooted enough in both internal/external and
mental/material interactions, nor susceptible enough to scientific
explication. At the same time, it is as if YE sees the idea of a
collective unconscious as at least a fertile imagining that opens the
field of "expansion" for consideration, if not actually explicating it
in the process, almost as though Jung was a science fiction writer whose
collective unconscious fantasy pre-sages what later science can affirm
and explicate more precisely.

In Peace,
K.