RE: Linguistic Gymnastics

From: Nate (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:37:36 PST

Eric,

As you may be aware the linquistic terms have serious material consequences.
"Developmentally delayed" will get you a certain type of funding where
"cognitively delayed" will get you another. What may appear as simply
gymnastics matters in very material ways in how real children can be helped.

Which is to say "what looks best on paper" is not some academic PC, but
needing to come to terms that if it does not look good on paper there is no
money to carry out any services for the child.

For me, another example why its important to have an historical approach to
the problems of education. I personally despise the labels - dd, ed, ld, cd,
een, adhd, etc but as much as I despise them I know they are what permits
one to meet the needs of children.

Nate