history-text relations

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 11:29:46 PST

the notion of history-as-a-text is not to say that history IS a text,
but that text is historical.

what i mean to suggest is a way to initiate cultural historical
questions, here, in a conversational site,

where we are already engaging we texts. by considering the text as
historical-cultural,
we implicate ourselves as readers / interpreters of particular
cultural-historical
locations, the assumptions each of us bring to any reading.

to pull these out more, as questions, and less as assertions or evidence
of theoretical correctness, looking at the text as historical
means digging into a deeper relation with narratives as reality-frames,
where we each
understand history as kinds of narratives -
even experienced history unfolds as a narrative, in that it is not
historically-experienced,
but historically-recounted, narrated after the experience.

there are more strands of difference in the ways narrative develop history
than the ways history is a narration - ---- narrative histories describe
more cultural diversity
than assumptions about historical events - personal experiences are
narrated into each of our individual locations and are part of the
perspectives we bring to the texts that are
read here: what i'm suggesting is way to elucidate these so that there is
no correct
interpretation to be sought,
but instead, perhaps what can be opened is an opportunity for diverse
experiences with text that are explicit, not embedded.

perhaps i can let this sit with folks for a bit?
and in the meantime i can offer a bit of writing about Jameson's text, as
a way to provide an example of the kinds of reading that are enabled.

diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu