Re: different flavors of chat

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 10:53:17 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Hi Eugene-- There is ample textual evidence for the reasons that Jim
>prefers sociocultural to sociohistorical; in general they support your
>points, Eugene-- when history is equated with progress, and ESPECIALLY
>when history/progress are interpreted as predictable, the consequences
>are well known and, I think is fair to say, unhealthy to human life (not
>the only unhealthy world view around, by any means!).

why would history be equated with progress, when there is ample textual
evidence in history that there is no progress when history is unaccounted
for? wouldn't a historical analysis provide the necessary critical space
that is missing from socio-cultural perspectives?

>There is also pretty good textual evidence for the tradeoffs involved in
>substituting culture for history,e.g. the absence of historical analysis
>that goes with the territory.

well, in academia, of course, there is good textual evidence to support
any position or idea, from the most absurd to the most obtuse, - i mean,
if anything, there is an excess of evidence substantiating particular
(popular) positions, and a lack of analysis to interrogate 'who benefits'
from all this evidence.
perhaps i'm misunderstanding (lordess knows it's happened before eh?)
but mightn't a critical-historical perspective provide more space for
innovation, as opposed to retreading the worn trails of unquestioned
practice?
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu