Re: Gremlins and Engestrom

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 17:37:47 PST

Nate, mike,

i'm chuckling at the resonances my little aside about quechua pronouns has
rippled. i've heard that aymara has 16 pronouns including the existence of
multiple second person pronouns. I'm not sure just how this would work but
maybe it would be useful to have something like a YOU that when spoken to a
collective indicated something like, "all of you out there who share my
surname, lineage crest, philosophical orientation, religion, etc." and
excluded all those who didn't share that characteristic. Of course spanish
does have that in the Vosotros form meant to be used to address nobility.
And of course Texans and others from the south USA like to say y'all which
seems to refer to a supra-level that includes people that the speaker isn't
even addressing. Javanese friends and their in-laws told me that these
kind of subtleties in pronouns riddle the languages spoken on that
archipelago (in both meanings of riddle).

unambiguously,

Paul H. Dillon