Cultural Historical SIG theme for AERA 2002 meeting in New Orleans

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 11:07:56 PST

Hi folks--

As you may see, I created SIG email list using Yahoo Groups. All email
exchanges sent to the group are automatically stored at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ch-sig/

In a few weeks, many of us will go to Seattle for AERA. King and I wonder if
it may be a good time to start discussion about our next meeting in New
Orleans in 2002. What should our theme (if any) for our SIG? How should we
discuss it? Do you want me to create a web form at our website
http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/CH-SIG where people will write their ideas and
then vote on it? We can start this discussion electronically and then
continue it face-to-face during our business meeting in Seattle. Please,
bear in mind that not all members of the SIG will go to Seattle...

What do you think?

King Beach and Eugene Matusov

-------------

PS Below is Pedro's message that is relevant for the discussion but might
not reach all CH-SIG members:

Estimados Eugene, King et al;

It is getting closer to AERA and getting a pre-conf discussion seems
useful. I don't know where to start but it seems that this "speed up" many
of us confront takes a toll and this last year the CHAT SIG presence has
been minimal on XMCA. I wonder how many XMCAers are connected or going to
AERA or CHAT SIG.
It may be that the persons now active in XMCA are not that connected or
informed so perhaps a bit of fact finding may be helpful before the Seattle
sig. meeting..

That's one suggestion for the meeting (what day? time?), to re-examine
this relation given that XMCA was and still one "very big advantage" we
have as a SIG, and that the CHAT SIG was organized to serve as an annual
North American conference on all things CHAT related., interspersed with
ISCRAT and other socio-cultural meetings elsewhere..

Another agenda item may be how to connect the activity on XMCA in the last
year and this one to the CHAT program in the future. It seems that unless
CHAT SIG members remain active on XMCA (at least a good proportion of us),
this will be difficult. I know I am guilty of not keeping up this last
year...

Without XMCA, we are just another special interest group at AERA. With it,
the CHAT SIG presence becomes a / the means for getting part of the
community together physically..

We can't force CHAT SIG members to be on XMCA or vice versa but only a
critical mass is needed i think.

Finally, perhaps a way to promote some activity before AERA then is to post
our papers to be presented in the CHAT SIG program soon, (I'll post mine on
Cultural Identity Development if Eugene can help by early next week, and )
others can perhaps provide a preview to see how some priming may work.

and start thinking about whom we might think about inviting for next year
to provide us with a "draw"....while possible like Zinchenko or B.
Elkonin.... for New Orleans 2002

just some thoughts from the mighty Ohio....
pedro

ps. Please forward this to chat sig list ( I don't have them as a nickname
yet)
Below is what Eugene has on our website..
Schedule of CH SIG sponsored presentations at the 2001 Seattle AERA meetings
13 proposals out of 21 were accepted for the 2001 Seattle meetings:
a) 3 symposiums, one of which will be our business meeting;
b) 10 roundtables (we had 7 slots and additional 3 slots we kindly got from
Division D)

Each proposal was reviewed on average by 3.7 reviewers.

2.01

Roundtables
Sponsors: Cultural Historical & Division D
Session Type: Roundtable
Place: Convention Center 4th Floor Room 6B
Time: 4/10/01 1:15:00 PM Ends: 1:55:00 PM
1509
Participants Communicative Practice and Situated Learning: Dynamics of
Contextualization and Positioning in an Emerging Learning Context . Kevin
O'connor, Clark University
 Stories from the Mexican Countryside: The use of oral Histories in the
Creation of Historical Context in Ethnographic Research . Melanie Uttech,
Virginia Tech
 Gone Missing? The relative absence of social class as a variable in
cultural-historical activity theory. A review and discussion . Carolyn P.
Panofsky, Rhode Island College

17.27

Roundtables
Sponsors: Cultural Historical Research
Session Type: Roundtable
Place: Convention Center 4th Floor Room 6B
Time: 4/11/01 4:05:00 PM Ends: 4:45:00 PM
1509
Participants Co-existing in two Cultures: Parental Beliefs and Children's
Activities in an Indian Immigrant Community . Jyoti M. Jain, University of
Illinois; Arti Goncu, University of Illinois
 Learning to be a writer: New Literacies in the Classroom . Pilar Lacasa,
University of Cordova; Mara Alburquerque, University of Cordova; Amelia
Reina, University of Cordova; Soledad Blanco, University of Cordova
 Expanding the boundaries: Play and Literacy in School . William Buxton,
Suny Cortland
 Cultural Tools and Cognitive Development: Implications of a Constructivist
Approach to Mathematics Teaching in Elementary Schools . Eduardo Vianna,
University of New York
 Changes in Classroom Discourse: Can They Affect Gender Differences in
Students' Math Confidence . Elizabeth Kelly, The Graduate Center, CUNY
 Achieving Legitimate Peripheral Participation through Arts of the Margin:
Community-Based Arts for Urban Youth . Dana Walker, University of Colorado
 Narrativizing Mental Representations in Multimedia Discourse: Navigating
through the Intersubjectivity of the Zone if Proximal . Chrysoula K.
Fantaousakis, Kean University

23.64

Exploring Identity Development from A Cultural-Historical Perspective
Sponsors: Cultural Historical SIG
Session Type: Symposium
Place: Westin 2nd Floor St. Helens
Time: 4/12/01 10:35:00 AM Ends: 12:05:00 PM
1509
Chair James V. Wertsch, Washington University
Participants Cultural and ethnic identity from a cultural-historical
perspective . Pedro R. Portes, University of Louisville
 A sense of self: On gender and technology in school . Katherine Goff,
University of Colorado
 Knowledge and identity within the sociohistorical approach:
Constructing/deconstructing students "at risk" in an American high school .
Jennifer A. Vadeboncoeur, Montana State University
Discussant King D. Beach, Michigan State University

30.23

Cultural-Historical SIG
Sponsors: Cultural-Historical SIG
Session Type: Symposium
Place: Convention Center 4th Floor Room 614
Time: 4/12/01 6:15:00 PM Ends: 8:15:00 PM
1509

Chair Vera John-Steiner, University of New Mexico
Participant Re-examining the context of adult/child collaboration in Reggio
Emilia and in the United States . Baji Rankin, University of New Mexico
 Promoting collaborations among Head Start staff through dialogue,
encounters/experiences,re-visiting and reflection in Chicago, IL . Karen
Haigh, Chicago Commons Child Development
 Collaboration and the zone of proximal development . Vera John-Steiner,
University of New Mexico
Discussant David Fernie, Ohio State University

37.22

Activity Theoretical Perspectives on Development and Change in of
Educational Praxix
Sponsors: Cultural Historical Sig
Session Type: Symposium
Place: Westin 2nd Floor Cascade Ballroom 1-B
Time: 4/13/01 12:25:00 PM Ends: 1:55:00 PM
1509
Chair Wolf-Michael Roth, University of Victoria
 Yrjo Engestrom, University of Helsinki
Participant The Complex of School Change: From Individuals to Institutions
and Back . William Barowy, Lesley University; Cindy Jouper ESD 113
 Redesigning an Urban Teacher Education Program: An Activity Theory
Perspective . Wolff-Michael Roth, University of Victoria
 Expansive Learning in a School Community: Multi-Voiced Anaylsis and
Redesign of Instruction in the 'Knowledge Work Laboratory' . Yrjo
Engestrom, University of California; Ritva Engestrom, University of
Helsinki ; Arja Suntio, University of Helsinki
 The Internet Learning Forum: Conceived as a Socio-Technical Insteraction
Network . Sasha Barab, Rob Kling, Steve Schatz, Lisa Yamagata-Lynch, Julie
Moore, Don Cunningham, Cathy Brown and Tom Duffy, Indian University
Discussant Eugene Matusov, University of Delaware