Re: Moonstruck: fantasy or fact

From: George McKinlay (mckinlay@unr.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 19:03:30 PST

On Thursday, March 22, 2001, at 09:39 AM, Stetsenko, Anna wrote:

> interestingly, i think the soviet state has produced a unique
> phenomenon -
> people en masse did not believe in media and were unbelievably
> sceptical.
> there used to be a joke about this at the time -- if moscow radio, for
> example, announced that 'the time is now 9pm', nobody believed that.
> this
> attitude is still partly there...

Yep, blatant falsehoods are easy to tag as propaganda, but effective
propaganda is that which can masquerade as obvious truths. The US
(substitute Australia, Britain...) is democratic, we are free to
choose, people "make" money by buying stock...

Wave a flag—suspension of disbelief...

en masse we believe

George McKinlay
Research & Educational Planning Center