CONFERENCE announcemet

From: Matvey Sokolovsky (sokolovs@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 20:05:40 PST

I want to ask the group to consider participation in this year Society for
Research in Adult Development (SRAD) conference in NYC (June 22-24). This
year's topic is on PARENTING and I will outline some of the ideas later.
First, some words about SRAD. It is a relatively small organization (at
least in comparison with SRCD) with a geographical bias towards New
England. You can find some information about the Society for Research in
Adult development at:
http://www.norwich.edu/srad/index.HTML
http://www.norwich.edu/srad/call2000.htm -- this years call for papers
http://www.norwich.edu/srad/program2000.htm -- last year's program

SARA HARKNESS agreed to be an invited speaker. Her presentation will be
entitled "CULTURE AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SELF AS A PARENT." My interest
is to discuss at the conference variety of topics that reflect
developmental opportunities/obstacles that parenting provides/does not
provide in different cultures and social environments. My idea is that
parenting, culture, social life, personal development are independent
variables that may interact in very diverse ways. For instance (don't read
it as the main topic of the conference), how about a presentation, "Getting
pregnant as a way of separation from the family of origin"? My goal is to
understand better diversity and, possibly, inner contradictions of socially
distributed meanings associated with parenting in different cultures.

SRAD conferences are very open for discussion, so I encourage everyone who
has interest in personal development, parenting and cross-cultural
psychology to contribute. Again, we are looking for a broad spectrum of
papers on how parenting (or infertility, or decision not to parent) is
related to personal development in diverse cultures, environments, and
situations.

Though the deadline is coming (March 9), SRAD's requirements are not too
burdensome. So there is a little time left.

Matvey Sokolovsky

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary