Re: Bourdieu quote help please

From: Phil Graham (phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 20:08:25 PST

The quote you have runs pp. 82-83

The strangest thing --- the page numbers in my version go [in seq]
68,65,66,79,80,77,78,75,76,73,74,87,88,85,86,83,84,81,82,89

No wonder they say the French postructuralists are hard to read! No wonder
they're called poststructuralists (i know, i know, B. is not "post" anything).

That is not *the* sentence in which he defines habitus. He also (e.g.)
defines it in the previous para (yes, p. 82) as 'the product of history'
and the producer 'of individual and collective practices'.

The quote you have [at least in total] is part of a definition of something
else [however closely related] which includes a particular understanding of
the habitus [seen from one perspective; i.e. understood from this
particular perspective]. The thing being defined in the sentence is
[between the brackets]:

'[The conjuncture capable of transforming practices ... into _collective
action_]. ... is constituted in the dialectical relationship between, on
the one hand, a _habitus_, understood as a system of lasting transposable
dispositions which, [p. 83] integrating past experiences, functions at
every moment as a _matrix of perceptions, apperceptions, and actions_ and
makes possible the achievement of infintely diversified tasks thanks to
analogical transfers of schemes ... and, on the other hand, an _objective
event_ ... [etc]

The para starts "It is just as true to say and just as untrue to say that
collective actions produce the event or that they are its product". That is
the preceding sentence to the (rather complex) tok^val sentence you have
quoted from, and which includes one aspect of "habitus" [i.e. seen as
transformative potential in collective action, I think].

Phew.

Phil