Re: Bakhtin, moral answerability...

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 13:34:31 PST

Nate,

Yes I just got a message from Carl in which he explained it as:

"I did mention the distinction between emotions and feelings in my article
"A
Cultural Psych. Analysis of Emotions" in Culture & Psych. It's on my web
page. You must have forgotten this point since I know that you've read every
of my articles! My point was that a feeling is a visceral process whereas an
emotion can be more intellectual. "I love Chicago blues" is an emotion but I
don't always FEEL that love (only when I get my Butterfield CD from PD will
I actually FEEL it). I don't know if the distinction is clear or valid but
wanted to contrast the actual feeling state from the whole
conceptual-psychological structure of an emotion. It seemed to me that we
can have an emotion that we don't necessarily feel strongly at the moment."

which is very different than the distinction I understood Ricardo to be
making with respect to the words "feeling" and "emotion" -- He's placing the
"intellectual" (I translate that to mean culturally and historically formed)
on the term "emotion", where I was basically placing it on the term
"feeling". I disagree with Carl about a lot of things and here to I'm not
sure how to view this use of emotion as "predisposition" and much more akin
to Bourdieu's concept of habitus than anything else. But that wouldn't make
much sense to me, really starting to make peanut butter anchovie pizzas,
that is, to talk about being sensitive to someone's habitus. But then he
got the congratulatory card from Bourdieu, not me, so who's to say.

Paul H. Dillon