Re: Bakhtin, answerability, and bodily speech

From: shane@voicenet.com
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 09:58:00 PST

Jay

You conclude with:
>It is certainly time to re-address issues of >moral answerability in our own discourse.

I couldn't agree more.

However, there seems to be a contradiction somewhere there. I see it as a problem of
reconciling my understanding of "moral answerability" as a very "individualist" concept,
and the current post-modern attempt to take agency out of an "individual" and ascribe it
to systemic processes within much larger and much more complex units like: activity
systems, societies, cultures...

One of the most horrible effects of the 'anti-individualism' were gulags, racial
persecuation, genocide, summary punishment itd. One can argue that these were effects of a
very vulgarized version of Marxism. Nevertheless, these were the the consequences. If one
cannot situate agency in an INDIVIDUAL, if one does not VALUE an individual, then on one
hand one cannot talk about individual moral answerability, and on the other, destruction
of individuals cannot be construed as a crime.

Ana

      http://www.voicenet.com/webmail/