""Re: employer driven

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 13:17:16 PST

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Mike Cole <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu>
Para: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Data: Domingo, 4 de Fevereiro de 2001 16:52
Assunto: employer driven

I wonder, could non-US members of XMCA help out here? What is the picture in
Brazil, Spain, Japan, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Great Britain,
Australia,........ etc? A common global startegy for high tech capital? Or?

>mike

I see the picture in Brazil very close and somehow related to the one
exposed by Helena in USA/NC.

Recently, some american industry installed in Brazil had close the door and
put their worker "in the eye of the street".
Although closing the last years in "green" - at least here, in Brazil. They
justify the desmissing because of the risk of an economy fall in America
(also called the "eagle's landing"). And, also, by requests of american
worker asking for mantaining their "places" in those industry produtive
chain.

On the other hand...

(1) the Ford car factory to be installed in Bahia had given a special
trainning course to people who were sellected to integrate the first group
of workers. All them had made a technical secondary cicle of studies in
brazilian public highschools;

(2) syndicates and labour unions had promoted all over the country technical
brief courses to unemployed people;

(3) The "salário mínimo" (minimal wage) paid to a worker here is (+-) U$
100,00 (R$ 185,00);

(4) A teacher of first series of basic education receives, in Bahia, R$
280,00 (+-) U$ 140,00 per month [20 hours] after a graduate course of 4
years.