Re: Michael's paper

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 06:46:09 PST

Funny, I was in a dream this morning of being among some sociologists in the UK. One lead fellow was describing some theory completely incomprehensible to me, apparently a radically different theory. Others were asking questions of him. Finally he put on his overcoat and exclaimed to the group while facing in my general direction, "Well that is what I am doing. There are just too many Engeströms". Someone said "What?", and he repeated his assertion. I was about to respond when the phone rang and I awoke.

I have been playing and making modifications to Yrjö's triangular model, to understand the theory better, and to better understand the work that I am doing. As it is a model, I would not maintain that there are "correct" and "incorrect" ways of reading/constructing it. Certainly Yrjö has specific categories and relations of categories in mind and these are carried in the geometrical organisation of the triangular form -- capturing the interrelationships without losing a sense of the whole. The triangular form is not as rich a depiction when it does not include the relations "exchange", "production", "distribution" and "consumption" that appear in learning by expanding -- these bring a dynamic sense to the static figure. Indeed, as a physicist, who is familiar with mathematical modeling and system dynamics, these terms relate change and rates of change. These relations are the basis for my incomplete work of modeling mailing list dynamics. Dynamics of interaction is also carried in the dialectic processes.

The organization of the triangle and subtriangles is important to examine, depicting differentiation within complex society. Each subtriangle "is potentially an activity of its own", and this further development of the model results in juxtaposed triangles, capturing a sense of the boundaries of differentiated labor, making headway not only into such things as how farms and grocery stores interact, but also being able to capture the division/fragmentation and interaction within a large institution as a university.

I take the triangle as representing a collective subject and have thus made the point of replacing "subject" with "people". There is a need, however to be able to describe people in any number, from one on up, and in such a generalization, "people" can be one person.

bb

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University