Re: Different motives

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 07:21:19 PST

People:

To help clarify how people engaged in what appears to be one activity
can be acting from different motives -- think about a situation where
someone hires another person to do something:

A small farmer hires a helper to work on the harvest. We might say they
are both engaged in the activity of farming. But the famer works to get
the harvest in, the helper works to get paid.

A clothing manufacturer hires cutters and sewers to make clothes. They
are both "producing clothing." But the manufacturer is working to
fulfill the contract, maintain the factory, and make as much profit as
possible; the employees are working to get paid by the piece or the
hour.

A lobbyist is hired by a corporation to influence legislation. The
lobbyist and a legislator talk and come to an agreement. When they speak
to the public, they say the same words, stand side by side. But they are
engaged in different activity systems: the lobbyist is working to get
paid by the corporation, the legislator is getting paid to represent the
best interests of the people who voted for him or her.

So in one single enterprise -- be it a family farm, a private business,
government -- we can see how activity systems can look congruent but be
in fact different because they are driven by different motives.

Helena