Re: Resume of Yrjv-Kallinen's article

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 17:23:37 PST

    Do you know much about Stan's students, esp. M. and V.? I'd like to understand the different methods of M. and V. in terms of THEIR inner contradictions, as well as in contrast to their teacher's.
    In 1922, Vakhtangov directed TURANDOT in his theatre called Third Studium. Ripellino tells us that he used stanislavsky method but asked to all actors/actresses to play their parts as they were italian actors/actresses of Commedia dell'Arte. So, his actors/actresses should show each character of the play on stage as it was made by a comic actor/actress of an italian company of Commedia dell'Arte. This instruction made possible for him, Vakh, to get a very specific scenic result: a theatrical effect (that same postulated by M - and later, in Germany, by Brecht).
    Vygotsky's ON THE PROBLEM OF THE CREATIVITY OF THE ACTOR also refers to this remarkable spectacle in which Vakh had ephasized the splendour of chmíra (cabotinage, rough performance - avoided by Stan) based on, contradictionly, in Stan's method or system. According to Vygotsky, it is necessary to understand Stan's system not only as a tool-kit to get a naturalistic-realistic performance on the stage. He give us some cues but does not explain exhaustively how should someone proceed along that way. It's a brief article in which he proposes an historical-cultural approach to the psychology of actor.
    I've been reading about M., who was inclined throughout much of his career to link his theatre to the world 'outside' though later in his career he seems less inclined to do that.
    ?
    It's very interesting percieve that even when Stan directed and put on stage his Hamlet (critizised by Vygotsky in Psychology of Art) there was indeed something puttrid in the "Denmark reign", something puttrid in csarist Russia. If we contextualize each theatre spetacle produced by those great theatre people, all of them are metaphoric communications/approaches to the most close reallity or "world outside".
    (I guess I could express, in English, my thinking on this - in a better way. But my vocabulary is too limmited yet. Sorry.)
    Despite this pointed above, I think Vygotsky is right in his critics to Stan's understanding of Shakespeare's Hamlet in Psychology of Art.
     I'm curious about the "inside-outside" way of thinking about individual/social interrelations that seems salient to Vygotsky's thinking/psychology as well as the dramatists' -- I mean specifically the question of "which comes first?" Stan. seems to have worked "both ways", though most of us in the West know him as working with "inside-->outside" methods. I've no doubt that Yrjo's is the truer reading.
    I think Yrjv's reading of Stan's system is one between others. A rigorous and convincing one.

    There's a lot to think about here.