Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): question

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 15:13:07 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>As to revolutions and rebellions that don't succeed, perhaps that failure
>becomes a symbol fueling continued resistance -- certainly Hungary (1956)
>was this. And I'm curious as to why you only mention struggles against
>"communist" regimes, what about Chile, Guatemala, . . . . ?

well frankly, i've heard first-hand accounts of the events i mentioned,
and so am inclined to draw from those, in sympathy, perhaps, to the people
i know who were
affected by those regimes, -
as i posted, a recent issue of Foreign Affairs pretty well substantiates
how i can "talk through my hat", so to speak - heh heh - nothing like a
little more information eh? (ahm, 'correct me if i'm wrong... but...') -
oops!
i stand (sit, really) corrected.

the examples you mention are valuable, and you're right - collective
actions are not
always against totalitarian regimes, but perhaps i am sentimental about
'fighting the good fight' - that is, any rebellion that i approve of. ha
ha.
how utterly unscientific of me! agh.
and of course, history is a composition of these struggles, and so the
meanings of these events change in relation to kinds of cultural necessity
- your example of the Russian revolution is a good one, 2 be sure.
So, yes indeed-
what _about_ Chile, Guatemala?
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu