Re: temperament/personality

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 15:42:57 PST

We've got several copies Mike. I'm on my way to get it now.

Isabel Myer Brigss says that children are born without personality, and
develop preferences in the first few years of life. It is only
post-adolsecence that we reach a stage of development where we can "modify"
our own personality. In my view CHAT is *ideally* placed to resolve this
gap. What I read about play ... which book was it? one of the basic
Vygotsky readings, indicates to me that there are a number of these choices
that present themselves in the context of both personality formation and
"success", heavy reward/punishment experiences for the young kids as they
learn to play roles with other kids, learn the rules of a game, develop
sensori-motor skills and so on. Have a glance at the very early and last
chapters of "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Myer Briggs and tyhink about play,
and preferences?

be back later,
Andy
At 11:56 AM 1/23/01 -0800, you wrote:

>Andy-- If its not available where you are, I will try to find
>some text from Cole and Cole, *Dev of Children* where we deal
>with the personality/temperament issue. As Carl Levitin titled
>his book, *One is not born a personality." But it appears prettyi
>clear that one is born with some characteristics "biases" in
>responsivity/sensitivity to different forms of interaction with
>the people/culture/build environment of the life niche. The quesetion
>of how these more phylogenetically constrained features interact with
>the socio-cultural environment to create personality is a GIANT
>question mark. Great topic.
>mike

* Andy Blunden, Teaching Space Support Team Leader
* University of Melbourne 9344 0312 W, 9380 9435 H
* Email ablunden@unimelb.edu.au W, andy@mira.net H
* http://www.ists.unimelb.edu.au - Work
* http://home.mira.net/~andy/ - Home