Re: for discussion

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 15:50:04 PST

Never impossible Helena, but difficult, and framing the difficulties is necessary to make the best choices. And yes, I agree with the points on the triangle re-presenting the social construction of the individual (as I guess the animation on my home page betrays, but not yet well enough). Interestingly though, Mike, another woman (besides my collaborator) who changes a town and herself, at least in the imagination, is Vianne, in the novel *Chocolat*.

I try to recall my dream, the face of Reynaud -- his lost expression of dismay, 'I'm late, I'm late' -- he too running from or into some unimaginable fate of which I am an unwitting part. But the dream has fragmented, its pieces scattered like cards in a high wind. Difficult to remember whether the Black Man pursues or is pursued. Difficult now to be sure whether he is the Black Man. Instead the face of the White Rabbit returns, like that of a frightened child on a carnival wheel, desperate to get off.

"Who rings the changes?" In my confusion I take the voice for someone else's; a second later I understand I have spoken aloud. But as I sink back toward sleep I am almost sure I hear another voice reply, a voice that sounds something like Armande's something like my mother's.

'You do, Vianne,' it tells me softly. 'You do.'

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University