Bill's pointers

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 10:26:17 PST

Bill-- I was interested to see you bring Luria into the discussion of
integrating the social and the individual. He is not ordinarily considered
in discussios of " how lsv is related to ANL" and it is not easy to do so
without raising a whole host of ancillary issues.

I resonated strongly to the following:

 Possibly the root cause of (2) is the the=
 difficulty of the study: pulling together a multifaceted,=
 multiply-focussed (not one unit of analysis but many) study that spans=
 co-development, longitudinally across people, things, and social structures=
 and processes, balancing comprehensiveness with depth.

This comment also resonates strongly for me. We have, in our archives,
several detailed individual case studies of children who spent a year or
more in the 5thD, in some cases, several years. At the same time, we have
notes and varieties of data on the perturbations in the "5thD itself" and
in its insitutional context(s) and in the socio-economic perturbations
in the community.

The object of study is a living socio-organism of which we are a part. How
to "stop" and turn entirely to analysis (for example, by taking accumulated
sabbatical time and withdrawing to carefully laid out rooms with video
tape players, text analysis equipment, and reams of collected artifacts
including an average of some 2000 detailed fieldnotes from differently
positioned observers) while the living socio-organism, which is itself
a part of a larger socio-historical context, frought with difficulties,
of which we are also a part, lumbers (slouches?) along?

But am I correct that my null hypothesis is not damaged by the fact that
the larger whole of which our partial perspectives a fragmented glimpses
are only reunitable in our imaginations?

Are we not somehow in the position of Luria's other famous individual, whose
brain was partially shot away, so that in order to see an object, he had
to scan it in complexly mediated ways, ever filled with holes and disappearing
figments in the fog?

Two grand children insist that I do not belong at this terminal... time to
go play.
mike