Re(2): Re(2): Activity and Money (2)

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 09:00:21 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

        Paul scrobe:

>The reason I think all this might be important concerns the fundamentality
>of the calculation of values in the process of exchange. Whereas this
>becomes central when money is measured in units and there are homogeneous
>bases for calculation: what Marx called the money-commodity, such is
>probably not the case in earlier forms of particularly limited currencies.

        okay - this gives me a better idea about your meanings - i was also
wondering if you were also referring to capitalism, as making money from
money through money investments and returns - dividends and interest.

you also mentioned, Paul -

>There is a very interesting study by Jerry Martien, "Shell Game: A True
>Account of Beads and Money in North America" that explores how wampum
>functioned in indigenous societies from the Long Island Sound to the Great
>Lakes and how it was manipulated and sublated within the capitalist form
>of
>money with the establishment of the colonies.. It's a great read, written
>by a poet/carpenter yet historically quite well researched and full of
>wonderful anecdotes and illustrations.

        i'll look this up - also, having read Fernand Braudel's history of
capitalism ( it's a formidable read, three volumns of about 1000 pages
each ), it is fascinating to read about how narrowly marginalized
capitalism was in its origins, and remainded so for several centuries.
now, capitalism is seen as a function of democracy and vice-versa - the
two institutions seemed so conflated with one another - it is hard to
work out the multiple historical threads. so, Martien sounds very
interested. thanks.

phillip

>Paul H. Dillon

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white