RE: Activity and Money

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 11:00:56 PST

Wouldn't the opposite scenario also be true? Sax deals with lets say two
different activity system involving money - but it seems the opposite
scenario is more often the case. Children being able to manipulate the
symbolic, but having difficulty with the concrete application. We have had
programs like CGI (cognitively guided instruction) which in practice seem
to fall right down class lines. The problems are more concrete, maybe even
authentic, yet they are also much more of a challenge to solve.

Or students that do fine manipulating the symbolic $6.00
                                                                          -$4.00

but suddenly being at great pains when we are talking about if Suzie has
six dollars and Billy has four, how much more money does Suzie have?

I guess for me what I have taken from Sax is the difficulty of the
translatability of various systems of mathematical learning. Back again to
the advantages and disadvantages of scientific / everyday concepts.

Sax's "kids" interaction with money (if my memory serves me) was very
competent in mathematical activity of selling products yet they had
difficulty with the symbolic or representation aspect of similar
problems. Likewise in the states many parents introduce their children to
math through workbooks that strongly (over) emphasize the symbolic and
they struggle enormously with concrete applications like CGI.

Nate