Re: Activity and Money

From: Artin Goncu (goncu@uic.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 12:22:22 PST

Dear All:

To my knowledge, Lita Furby is the only person who addressed this question
in developmental psychology. I drew from her work some years back in my
effort to understand children's desire to own play objects, and reported
some findings in 1984. Cultural differences in possesion of play objects
can be found in Haight in Children's engagement in the world (1999). Best,
Artin

Furby, Lita. Understanding the psychology of possession and ownership: A
personal memoir and an appraisal of our
progress. [Journal Article] Journal of Social Behavior & Personality. Vol
6(6), 1991, 457-463. Abstract |
Complete Reference

Furby, Lita. The origins and early development of possessive behavior.
[Journal Article] Political Psychology. Vol
2(1), Spr 1980, 30-42. Abstract | Complete Reference

Furby, Lita. Collective possession and ownership: A study of its judged
feasibility and desirability. [Journal Article]
Social Behavior & Personality. Vol 8(2), 1980, 165-184. Abstract |
Complete Reference

Furby, Lita. Inequalities in personal possessions: Explanations for and
judgments about unequal distribution. [Journal
Article] Human Development. Vol 22(3), 1979, 180-202. Abstract | Complete
Reference

Furby, Lita. Sharing: Decisons and moral judgments about letting others use
one's possessions. [Journal Article]
Psychological Reports. Vol 43(2), Oct 1978, 595-609. Abstract | Complete
Reference

Furby, Lita. Possession in humans: An exploratory study of its meaning and
motivation. [Journal Article] Social
Behavior & Personality. Vol 6(1), 1978, 49-65. Abstract | Complete
Reference

At 07:09 AM 12/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Andy,
>
>This question is similar to one I asked some time ago as to whether there
>had been any studies of children's acquisition of concepts of property. At
>that time I received no responses. Carl Ratner told me personally that he
>doesn't know of any either. It would seem that money, as a form of exchange
>value which presupposes the existence of some concept of property would fall
>into this category but who knows. I'm anxious to see what response there is
>to your query.
>
>Paul H. Dillon

Artin Goncu, Ph.D
Professor