Re: Fw: FW: AN AFRICAN VIEW OF THE US ELECTION :Not funny

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 04:41:29 PST

Yes, the objectivity is interesting. Not only the machine, but how the
legalese from the Supreme Court was decided on an 187? law passed by the
Florida legislature. Paul, I really liked the African "view point" is
there any way to send a copy that does not have all the <<< that is
included in the forwarded message.

A historical tid bit - very early in American history there was a conflict
between the supreme court and the presidency. I believe it was between
Jefferson, the legislature and the supreme court where the supreme court
backed down on an earlier constitutional ruling to save itself as a
legitimate arm of the American political system. The reason for this is
unlike other bodies the supreme court is all on faith and more or less an
"objectivity myth". As with the very strong dissent with the last Supreme
Court ruling attests too, its legitimacy is again very much at
stake. While very much a consequence for the american political system, I
have always leaned more toward the notion that we are a "nation of people"
rather than a "nation of laws".

The legitimacy (objectivity) thing as Andy mentioned may not be such a bad
thing, but then again when the "myth of objectivity" is not adhered to,
the U.S. always tends to go back to force.

Nate