Re: Leont'ev reading afterthought

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 11:12:32 PST

Paul, I appreciate your appreciation for the Leont'ev discussion, which
many of us found useful. Others did not participate or participated less,
which suggests that a single specific focus is an inadequate solution to
the development of a CHAT community. That there were many messages in this
thread may reflect more the period of time that was needed to cover all the
chapters. It was my impression that the number of contributors increased at
points of disagreement and misunderstanding, which may be an argument for
single-topic discussions (obliging explication of different views); it is
also a testament to how important it is to respectfully disagree, even with
those views you don't respect, if the discussion is to be fruitful.

I think it was useful to focus on a core text and would like to do it
again. I would be disappointed if such discussions eradicated the more
free-wheeling contributions of diverse views; if CHAT were to become a more
rigid framework, legitimating certain tools and deligitimating others. I
don't really think that can happen.

I'd like to hear from others.

Judy