Re: self-concept in socio-cultural theory

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 05:45:35 PST

Hello Aleksander -
i dare say this is the first time, in my life, that i've made reference to
something i am credited with writing, i dare say it's the only thing i am
credited with writing,
but it does respond to your interests in identity and self-concept in
socio-cultural frames,
including relations of tools and such, -
it's an article called "Dis/identification in a community of practice,"
published in
Mind, Culture, Activity Journal - the abstract is available on the MCA
website (do you have that URL?) -
i think it was published in spring 1998, but i'm not sure.
if you want the specific citation and article, i could dig it up - it
might help you
think of ways to 'think' about issues of identity in contexts of social
activity and participation.
diane

Aleksander.Baucal@unine.ch writes:
>Hello everyone,
>
>My name is Ksenija Krstic and I am a teaching assistant at the
>University in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. I am working on my Ph.D. about
>development of self-concept. As far as I know (correct me if I'm
>wrong!), Vigotski didn't write anything about development of self and
>identity. But I wonder if someone did write about development of self
>and identity in context of socio-cultural theory or, specifically, about
>
>mediating / cultural tools for development of self?
>
>If there is something written about that, could you, please send me a
>references!
>
>Thank you very mach!
>
>Sincerely
>Ksenija Krstic
>Teaching assistant
>Dept. of Psychology
>Cika Ljubina 18-20
>11000 Belgrade
>Yugoslavia
> Tel: ++ 381 11 3281 550 /ext. 142
> E-mail: kkrstic@f.bg.ac.yu

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu