Re(2): Personality is an ensemble of social relations

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 16:23:28 PST

i thought i'd repost this message from Mohamed, about the relations
between ideology
and marxist traditions of psychology - i mean, if anyone has thoughts on
this, i'd be thrilled
to pursue these ideas.

elham@rockymountnc.com writes:
>Hi Diane,
>Thank you for your comment.
>Indeology is not ignored, it is integrated in my analysis. I focused on
>the
>sum total of the relations of production which structures society and
>constitutes its real foundation. Therefore, personality is grounded in the
>social relations or in other words it is an ensemble of social relations.
>
>From a Marxist point of view (Marx himself) human individuals are both
>the
>forces and relations of production. They are not just a product of the
>social base like the superstructures (ideologies, ideas, law, etc.) but
>are
>part of the social base. In this sense, human individuals were to be
>understood as active producers of their environment. In other words, human
>individuals are not produced by the social base neither are they produced
>as superstructure because they are an integral part of both base and
>superstructure. In this respect, Vygotsky pointed out that "The nature of
>man's education, therefore, is wholly determined by the social environment
>in which he grows and develops. But this environment does not always
>affect
>man directly and straightforwardly, but also indirectly, through his
>ideology. By ideology, we will understand all the social stimuli that have
>been established in the course of historical development and have become
>hardened in the form of legal statutes, moral precepts, artistic tastes,
>and so on. These standards are permeated through and through with the
>class
>structure of society that generated them and serve as the class
>organization of production. They are responsible for all human behavior,
>and in this sense we are justified in speaking of man's class behavior."
>Educational Pyschology.
>
>In the preface to his Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy
>(1859), Marx gives an integral formulation of the fundamental principles
>of
>materialism as applied to human society and its history, in the following
>words: "In the social production of their life, men enter into definite
>relations that are indispensable and independent of their will, relations
>of production which correspond to a definite stage of development of their
>material productive forces. The sum total of these relations of production
>constitutes the economic structure of society, the real foundation, on
>which rises a legal and political superstructure and to which correspond
>definite forms of social consciousness. The mode of production of material
>life conditions the social, political and intellectual life process in
>general. It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being,
>but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their
>consciousness.
> [...]

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu