Two relevant jobs

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 09:48:28 PST

These two jobs may be of relevance to members of these two
audiennces.
mike

----
Subject:          Special Educ positions at Mich State Univ
Date:              Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:20:43 -0500
>From:             Carol Sue Englert <carolsue@msu.edu>

Dear Dr. Cole,

We are writing to provide some additional background information about two new tenure-line faculty positions that are available in the Special Education Program at Michigan State University. These positions are at the Assistant Professor level and will begin in Fall 2001. One of the two positions requires demonstrated expertise in working with K-12 individuals with socio-emotional difficulties, and the second position requires expertise in mild disabilities. These positions were posted in the October 22, 2000 edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education. The search will begin as soon as a suitable pool of candidates becomes available. We are anxious to identify some talented researchers and teacher educators who might join our MSU faculty. Do you know of anyone who might be suited for this position?

The College of Education at Michigan State University is a dynamic place

to work and can bring enormous opportunities for interdepartmental and cross-college collaboration. Currently, we have six of our graduate programs in the college ranked in the top six in the nation by U.S. News

and World Report. Both our elementary and secondary education programs have been ranked #1 in the nation for six consecutive years, making MSU a particularly exciting place for individuals who conduct school-based research in K-12 settings. We also have a number of National Centers (e.g., the Center for Improvement of Early Reading Achievement--CIERA) and Institutes in the college that can provided conceptual, financial, and material resources for faculty members.

The special education program faculty at Michigan State University currently number eight, with five of eight faculty members in the area of mild impairment. The two new positions will increase our total number

of faculty to 10, and represents a commitment from the college and university to support and expand the special education program. Our faculty have diverse interests and national reputations in a number of areas, including research in the area of literacy, technology and literacy instruction, teacher learning, developing collaborative sites of practice and inquiry (Professional Development Schools), teacher/researcher communities, classroom discourse, collaborative teaching, inclusion, mathematics instruction, international perspectives

on disability, deaf sport, deafblindness, and others. Currently, seven of our eight faculty hold either federally-funded or state-funded grants, totalling over $3 million dollars.

In the College of Education, we have degree programs in special education at the undergraduate (5th Year Internship), Masters, and Ph.D.

level. We offer endorsements in Learning Disabilities, Emotional Impairment, Hearing Impairment, or Visual Impairment. After graduating at the end of their senior year, students complete a full-year internship and complete 12 credits of graduate coure work that can be applied to their Master's degree. At the MA level, we offer six different areas of emphasis, including Learning Disabilities, Emotional Impairment, Hearing Impairment, Visual Impairment, Deafblindness, and Orientation & Mobility. We also offer a Ph.D. program that includes a set of five special education core courses that are taught by program faculty. This special education core, coupled with a rigorous professional seminar, research methods, and cognate components has allowed our graduates to be very competitive at a national level.

There are several exciting initiatives currently being developed in the special education program and in the College of Education that may be of

interest to candidates considering applying to MSU. In our program, we are at the beginning stages of developing a new "integrated" program that will allow for opportunities to work with faculty in the Teacher Education Department to craft a combined general/special education program that more effectively meets the needs of future special educators. Thus, there are opportunities for individuals who might be interested in examining teacher learning in the new integrated program or those willing to take a lead in developing the Emotionally Impaired program at the graduate level. Second, the College of Education will be launching a new College of Education Online MA Program within the next year. This move towards online course work also represents many exciting

opportunities for faculty joining our program.

Again, we hope that you might alert your current doctoral candidates to consider applying for one or both of our new tenure-line positions at the Assistant Professor level. We are aware of the incredible demand for special education faculty in higher education on a nation-wide basis. However, we think this is one of the most exciting times in our history with the addition of two new hires and the potential that affords our program in the area of research, teaching, and program development. The College of Education at Michigan State University will provide an outstanding opportunity for highly qualified new faculty members in a supportive and invigorating research and teaching environment. We are very grateful for your taking the time to communicate this information to your current and recent doctoral candidates.

Sincerely, Carol Sue Englert, Ph. D. Troy V. Mariage, Ph. D. Special Education Search Committee Special Education Search Committee Co-Chair Co-Chair

Michigan State University College of Education 334 Erickson Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1034