first you gotta see them

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:33:56 PST

Hi Anna--

I really have a warped view of what the stereotypical views of the ALL goru
(group) are, Anna, and as my earlier comment to Dot indicated, I am very
leery of taking sides on matters of personal conflicts from the 1930's
and 1940's when the only thing I am pretty sure of is that I have virtually
NO idea of what went on.

I am grateful for your info. I would write, for example, about AA Smirnov,
but my knowledge is partial and imperfect to the point where I am not sure
what to write.

I, like Vera, am very much influenced by Luria and bemused by his
invisibility or mis-identification as a neuropsychologist in the American
understanding of that term. That i have written about, both in the article
on my web page )(published only in Czech!) and in the afterword to his
autobiography in English, Making of Mind (to mind my, still a great
intro to lsv's approach, although it would be a cinch to dismiss because
of the minor role of ANL in it).

And Vera, functional systems ideas are alive at least at UCSD and not
only at LCHC. See E. Hutchins, *Cognition in the Wild* for a place where
it lives very productivly. Or in Ed's article about how cockpits remember.
mike