Re: Personality

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 01:12:02 PST

Paul, "samsara" is not in my vocabulary, as evidenced by my propensity to
mis-spell it.

Re my trepidation. It not so much determinism as *dogmatism* that I am
being cautious to avoid. Once you have a good understanding of where each
other are coming from, it is fairly easy to discuss things like "general
laws". For example, any teacher knows certain truisms about running
classrooms, for example, "if you tolerate personal abuse in the classroom,
then classroom conditions are likely to degenerate". But this truism is
true only within definite cultural limits. In some circumstances the
opposite would be the case, the kids would be expected to handle it.

"the history of society ... becomes the history of the development of
society according to regular laws, and the study of the history of society
becomes a science. ... social life, the development of society, is also
knowable, and that the data of science regarding the laws of development of
society are authentic data having the validity of objective truths. Hence
the science of the history of society, despite all the complexity of the
phenomena of social life, can become as precise a science as, let us say,
biology ..."

Already I can hear the cold footsteps down the corridor, the knock on the
door in the midst of night ... That's Stalin talking, not Marx.
"Dialectical & Historical Materialism", 1938. It was reading this work a
couple of years ago that helped me understand why some people are so
hostile to certain kinds of "marxist-sounding" formulations, "dialectics of
nature" stuff and so on.

It was hegel who managed to formulate these general laws, but we know that
even hegel got into trouble, ending up rationalising a form of society not
too dissimilar to the one he lived in. Personally, I think Marx interprets
Hegel very much in the spirit of Cultural Historical Activity Theory when
the CHAT is not avoiding politics, in the way Carl Ratner pointed to, when
it is *Communist*.

Andy