Re: How Bush's Standards Dumb Down the Curriculum in Texas

From: Daniel F Webster (websterd@U.Arizona.EDU)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 16:56:15 PST

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:

> If you're interested in reading a fairly devastating critique of Gov.
> Bush's touted TAAS assessment, go to:
> http://www.coe.uga.edu/ncrll/Newsletters/NewsletterIndex.htm
> and get the 2000 Fall Newsletter, and read How Bush's Standards Dumb Down
> the Curriculum in Texas by George Hillocks.

Sure, hang it on Bush. The problem has been around a L O T longer than
George W. Bush has been governor of Texas. Texas, New York, and
Califormia, having by far the largest populations, have dictated textbook
policies for DECADES. California and New York have, also, for decades
been dominated by the Democrat Party. And Texas? Until every school
district's input is taken into consideration in creating and standardizing
the textbooks used nationwide, we need to discontinue casting blame on one
individual, of whatever background.
Additionally, the introduction of high-stakes tests (e.g., the AMES test in
Arizona), pressures teachers to "teach to the test" rather than teaching
students think and construct knowledge. If THAT doesn't "DUMB DOWN" the
curriculum, what does? When graduating with a "real" diploma versus
receiving an "affirmation of graduation" is the option, students and their
parents will demand that students be taught to respond to the
standardized test, rather than learn to function as a life-long
learner. Too bad.
Why don't we ask the Department of Education to create a U.S. Standard
High School Proficiency Exam? That way we could eliminate the illusion
of, and need for, local control of education: No more parental input, no
more local school boards wasting Federal Dollars. What a Utopian Society
THAT would create for us. No need to think for ourselves, only to put our
faith in the omnipotance of the great god DOE. Those who are best at
memorizing the "standard" answers, shall be advanced to the status of
"acceptable" worker candidates, interchangable parts for corporate
grist. Doesn't sound like Utopia to me.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,
+ Dan +

( Daniel Frank Webster, PhD )
( email: websterd@u.arizona.edu )
( dannoo@netscape.net )
( Pager: (520) 291-3822 Home: (520) 326-6771 )
( home page: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~websterd )