Re(2): RE: leont'ev: externalization/internalization etc

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 07:37:20 PST

        Judy scrobe:

>What I had in mind was that ideologies are coherent; activity systems are
>by definition riven with contradictions that unsettle the terms in which
>they're known -- so while ideologies are always in play, within the
>activity system that is subjected to an activity theory analysis, the
>contradictions that emerge in the course of "moving ahead" override/
>challenge/ test whatever system of belief might otherwise sustain the
>status quo.

        i like this - and i would suppose that theories like ideologies are
coherent - and the practices based on the theories are "riven with
contradictions" - which would go a long way in describing the
inconsistencies between educational theories proposed by academia/teacher
educators which _are_ so marvelously coherent - and the contradictions
faced by the classroom teacher when attempting to work classroom activitis
based on particular theories - the resistance by the students, the
architecture, the administration, the parents is from subtle to highly
obvious - but resistant. even the teacher's own unexpected resistance
-

>Since I have never done an analysis on a system wider than the
>classroom, and I haven't used AT as a mean of intervention, I am
>projecting/ speculating about how it would, really, work.

        being a proponent of teacher-research, why not research your own practice
 - and use activity theory for the interventions you would bring to your
own teaching practices?

        it is snowing - i took a long walk last night - a bright half moon -
cloudless starry night - starry starry night ..... - fed apples to the
horses down it the fields where the town just ends - woke up this
morning to three inches of snow on the ground - the valley engulfed in
whirls of snow obscuring the mountains - very comforting looking out the
windows over a snowy world - wood burning fires in the stoves - coffee
and hot toast - bliss.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white