the chemical-biological

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 06:37:49 PST

Nate, in response to Peter, writes
> A pragmatic question would be how do we hash these differences
>out and it seems to me a focus on activity would have some potential here.
>One where is it not only the properties of the individual but also the
>organization of work place, classroom etc. It seems to me the starting
>point
>is important - if one takes the individual, biological, chemical as
>primary
>a lot of factors are excluded and one ends up with kids (or adults) on
>medication (or not) for a variety of reasons.

There are not only chemical imbalances that differentiate neural activity,
and there is not only the condition of those who are medicated who make up
the difference in social engagement -
i mean, every brain is wired according to particular experiences, and
general neurology,
chemical activity in the brain is both identifiable, and yet not identical
from person to person,
but infinitely variable - interacting with external resources such as
sugar, chocolate, coffee,
soda pop, peanut butter, weed, booze, cigarettes, LSD, ecstasy, - from the
simplest to most extreme example, - there are memories, phobias, neuroses,
fears, anxieties, depressions, obsessive-compulsives, all of which are
chemical characteristics of participation - there are chemical variables
that effect behaviours in the individual
that exceed the "observation" premise of Activity.

I mean, ----- augh. forget it. please. resume the robotic model of
human-activity.
clearly the body is disruptive to the purity of this discussion.
tsk. i must be in the wrong class. better check my schedule.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu