Epistemology as activity: Drawing parallels

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 13:45:37 PST

Dear all, dear Dot,

what I wrote about understanding understanding (and knowledge) as an
activity has been recently very nicely illustrated by several people in the
discussion. Even if the same words were not used, I kind of noticed an
emerging trend of paying more attention to this perspective. Maybe exactly
in a spirit of an emerging property of all of us participating
collaboratively in this activity of discussing L's book. Here how I can
summarize and draw parellels, maybe this will answer some of Dot's
questions.

1. I wrote about externalization/internalization:

" This dichotomy is nothing but an instrument that can help in thinking
about certain issues and achieving some specific goals, an instrument that
makes sense in some concrete contexts but not others".

I gave an example for this borrowing from Dot's notes: "analyzing dualisms
is a prerequisite for finding unity". So, a dichotomy can be an instrument
or means by which to achieve unity in understanding of the very categories
that had been split up at some initial stages of analysis. For example, to
draw a line between internal and external perhaps can help highlight the
otherwise hidden dimensions and characteristics of the 'two' so that these
'two' then, consequently, can be shown to be 'one'. This is congruent with
Peter Jones's recent message about how nuanced the ext/intern distinction is
in L and V's works and how it raises, although not always without
contradictions and leaps backwards, above the mechanical juxtaposition of
these 'two' that are ultimately 'one'.

(Dot, by the way, because I used you quite GENERAL example about reaching
unity, I thought it was clear that 'concrete' was not used by me as smth
simply boiling down to isolated empirical cases, nor as smth a-general,
a-theoretical, but rather as 'defined and specified' that can equally be
general or concrete in the terminology that the word 'concrete' evoked in
you).

A brilliant illustration came later from Bill Barrowy and I quote:

"(the concepts, terms, dichotomies etc)... are our cultural heritages. So it
is tempting to reject, scientifically, any of these terms based upon their
failings, yet they serve practical functions everyday and scientifically,
even if only for a "bootstrapping" process, as stepping stones. So it goes,
also with 'ideal' and 'real', and 'scientific' and 'everyday'. ... So
perhaps we can think of these things as components of a whole, that we may
index in order to comprehend in our limited ways what is otherwise
incomprehensible -- the totality of human existence"

2. The same quote from Bill also speaks to what I wrote about epistemology
as activity (quote from my previous message):

"Why should we, in the postmodern world, have to take some ideas as
statements of absolute principles that exist out there on their own, rather
that just being elements in our (or somebody else's) broader activities in
the real world, activities that exclusively are able to impart meaning on
isolated concepts and dichotomies."

Note that I used the term "broader activities in the real world" where Bill
uses " totality of human existence" - but exactly in the same sense. This is
an amazing congruency for me, as in both cases we clearly speak to the same
issue...Actually, I think the term 'activity' has advantages over 'human
existence' - but this is a separate issue.

3. My third, but not unrelated point was that

"There is no way to understand AT from 'nowhere', but only from within an
activity context (which means in the context of wanting to change
something)".

A brilliant illustration for this point came from Andy, I quote:

"We, who are interested in AT and the work of the Vygotsky School, are
interested in it (I think) because it is a theory which allows us to reflect
on and understand the kind of activity we are struggling for changing social
and cultural conditions through critical engagement with other people (as
equals), changing people's psyche while seeing other people to be as fully
human as ourselves (not soulless objects), knowing the answer is not
something to be propagated or even to be discovered but something to be
*created* by the people whose lives need to change, Understanding CHAT is,
to me, getting better at a particular kind of activity (changing people,
changing yourself, changing the world) - but from time to time we all have
to do different kinds of activity"

I feel I don't need to add much to this, this is so much to the point that I
had expressed in perhaps very condensed, but I tend to think, clear form.

4. Finally, I suggested in that same message that we look at L's theory
through the prism of what he was trying to achieve, from within his context
of activity, which presumes analyses of his goals. This clearly can take the
form of asking ourselves as to what was the main question (not necessarily
just one, perhaps several) for L that he purported to answer.

Here again, something emerged in the discussion that follows this route,
namely, coming from Helena, a very pointed account of what this actually
could be. Helena posted the words by Evald Ilyenkov (quoted from Bakhurst)
about the old problem of how to conceive of the mind and other psychological
processes in an OBJECTIVE way, going beyond the stimulus-response or
phenomenological (intorspectionist) reductionism. I don't believe this is
the full answer, but it is clear to me that both V and L were trying to
answer the same central question - about how to make psychology into an
objective science.

A related theme is that (also quoting from Helena's message):

"I think Leont'ev is actually trying to get to a place where he can describe
therapy -- psychology not just as the system that studies consciousness, but
a way to change or help people".

Indeed, this would be an important description of what distinguishes L and V
versions of psychological science from other - still dominant even today -
versions of it: the desire to make psychology go out of the ivory tower of
observation into the real life context of doing things for people and with
people. This is exactly a description of the activity context, defined here
through its goal of changing real things in real life, that both L and V, I
believe, were devoted to (although not always consequentially). This is an
extremely important point and I have written about this before on multiple
occasions (e.g., MCA paper together with Arievitch, where we draw a line
between discourse-oriented constructivism which believes in changing reality
through changing the discourse and activity-oriented, Vygotskian,
constructivism that puts practice at the foundation of psychology as a
scientific discipline).

I believe also, that it is this orientation that makes Vygotsky and Leont'ev
post-modern scientists. I am sure this last statement can also provoke
questions and I'd be happy to elaborate... i WOULD ALSO BE HAPPY TO HEAR
BACK FROM THE PEOPLE WHOSE IDEAS I QUOTED (UPPER CASE UNINTENDED).

Anna Stetsenko