what's a body

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 18:07:42 PST

peter writes
>But what of people who don't have access to the medications
>and therapy and so have personalities that are shaped by their chemical
>makeup? I also think of a couple of young kids I know who are autistic
>and
>who have very limited social interaction. Surely their biochemistry has a
>lot to do with their personalities.

- i would think the term is bio-social, referring to this very interaction
of biological process
and social activity, ...
or perhaps bio-cultural beings, as semiotic-bio/social organisms (i.e.,
surely our understanding of human biology is contingent upon semiotics,
which are socio-historical, )...

- so it is possibly a semiotic-bio-socio-historical understanding of
being-in-the-world,
as self-producing persons, as much as productive social persons... i
reckon "activity" is _supposed_ to account for all these aspects of human
bodies, but i haven't really
encountered anything that does. certainly not the readings thus far,
anyway.
the questions of consciousness, i think, are in the
semiotic-cultural-socio-historical interactions,
- gee, as well as the biological, so there it is again. something
complicated. HUH.
?
diane
                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu