RE: Response to Phillips RE: Blast 3

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:32:05 PST

Vera,

I agree. In going back in the archives the differentiation between actions
and activity came up which might be important to take up. For me
appropriation gets closer to the activity end, but as part of that
appropriation we internalize (and externalize) actions which as I understand
it are things individuals do. I agree Luria is very important here. I
realize I countered appropriation to internalization and that is mostly
because I see it incorporated in the term of appropriation.

My drawing on appropriation was that it was something more than "mastery" or
"just the fact" but as you mentioned below included consciousness and the
material base of human abilities. I think both appropriation and
internalization are terms that evoke very different meanings for a
particular reader. For me if were talking about Leontev, Luria, Vygotsky
etc. there seems to be an emphasis on what occurs in learning cannot be
seperated from consciousness, identity, and the brain.

Nate