Re(2): Keeping appearances simple for now

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 14:44:36 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
        Bill scrobe:

>... and then there is Phillip in his classroom, with his students.

        and i'm a little wired just now - having spent all of last night baking
ten dozen cookies and whipping up multiple colored frostings - so that the
kids could decorate cookies for their halloween party - instead of
getting store-bought cookies - usually we bake our cookies in the school
cafeteria, but that couldn't happen this year. not to mention cupcakes!

        phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white