whew!!

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 13:57:08 PST

I have been reading October's discussion for about an hour and I am only
a little over half way through the month! So many interesting ideas/
clarifications/confusions/......

I will return to reading in a moment, but a few comments while I can
keep them in my deteriorating short term memory!

1. VraszhIvanie as "rooting" as a synonym for interiorization in Vygotsky--
thanks to victor: Rooting and copying sure do seem different to me and
give me a lot to think about.

2. I, too, wondered where Dewey's reflex arc paper was in this discussion.
For sure Dewey was familiar to ANL. This became relevant again when Bill
quoted ANL in a passage which first made me wonder, where is Dewey?

"All activity has a circular structure: initial afferentation >
effector processes regulating contacts with the objective
environment > correction and enrichment by means of reverse
connections of the original afferent image. Now the circular
character of the processes that realize the interaction of the
organism with the environment appears to be universally recognized
and sufficiently well described in the literature.

----
The circular structure part is fine with me but why start with
the initial afferentation? What's initial?

This resonates, Paul, with the "in the beginning is the word" versus "in the beginning is the deed" discussion that has been floating through here.

Great summary of ch2.

Back to reading. mike