Re: Two Approaches in Psychology

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 01:38:24 PDT

This first part of Leontyev's Chapter addresses the age-old problem of
subject and object, and doesn't our discussion show how eternal it is! I
think the translation problems - important in themselves in trying to get
to the author's meaning and context, and concretising our understanding -
still, it's all around this same problem.

"THUS, the object of activity is two-fold; first, in its independent
existence as subordinating to itself and transforming the activity of the
subject; second, as an image of the object, as a product of the
psychological reflection that is realised as an activity of the subject and
cannot exist otherwise."

I have scanned the article in "Philosophy in the USSR" (which included
Ilyenkov's article on the Ideal and Leontyev's article) by Lektorsky
devoted to Subject-Object, and emailed it to Nate. Nate, can you post it on
the MIA and let people know the URL?

Andy