Re: translation issues

From: Alfred Lang (alfred.lang@psy.unibe.ch)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 12:44:45 PDT

Ana wrote:

>I like your comment. But, I am in favor of asymmetry - however I understand
>why you think that a more symmetrical language should be applied.
>But I think there is a dynamic asymmetry at work in
>socio-psychological relations and activities.

I fully agree, Ana, that's no contradiction: looked at the system
abstracting from time it should be astonishingly symmetric, our
active-passive habit or prejudice notwithstanding, prepondering
wheights often but not always on the organism side in ecosystems with
things involved. This is so on a nominal level. But looked at a
concrete system on lower levels with a time microscope, the process
is going round the function circle, spiraling through Intro, IntrA,
ExtrO, ExtrA, Intro, .... and so also explaining the possible
evolutive change in any or both parts of the system. This is better
than the "oscillation" you mention later in your message. Semiotic
ecology describes all this in detail avoiding any of the dualim
problems that ravage the dialectical or idealistic materialists and
need denial. And besides also probably solving the difficulty of
giving realistic meaning to terms like interiorization,
internalization or reflection.

Alfred

Alfred Lang, Psychology, Univ. Bern, Switzerland --- alfred.lang@psy.unibe.ch
Website: http://www.psy.unibe.ch/ukp/langpapers/