Re: CH 3 (translation etc)

From: Victor Kaptelinin (vklinin@informatik.umu.se)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 07:55:34 PDT

>from peter jones, sheffield hallam university
>hi folks
>the whole text really needs a new translation doesn't it? on 'turning': this
>must be a translation of vrashchenie - turning round, turning back (on itself)
>and i think has been translated as 'rooting' elsewhere hasn't it?

I completely agree with you, Peter, the text definitely needs a new
translation!

It appears that "turning" is one of the numerous errors in the English
version. The word used in the Russian original was "vraschivanie" (rooting)
but the translator apparently mistook it for "vraschenie" (turning).
"Vraschivanie" was often used by Vygotsky as a synonym of internalization
("interiorizatsiya").