Re: translation issues

From: shane@voicenet.com
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 07:37:00 PDT

Hi Alfred,

I like your comment. But, I am in favor of asymmetry - however I understand
why you think that a more symmetrical language should be applied.
But I think there is a dynamic asymmetry at work in socio-psychological relations and
activities.
Something similar to the computerese use of object-oriented. I think that there is
a constant oscillation of transitions between the subject and the object - and in that
sense the relationship may be more symmetrical. However, at any given moment it
is asymmetrical, because there must be a functional differentiation between the two.
This is a rarely discussed issue but it is a recurring one and it recurs in different
guises
and forms. It is a transition between matter and energy, process and product, subject and
object, subject and predicate (see the controversial and opposite use of the word
"subject"),
etc...

Fascinating.

(I am well and following this discussion in detail but have little time to participate
fully)

Ana

      http://www.voicenet.com/webmail/