RE: translation issues

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 19:20:44 PDT

Mike,

I looked at the pdf file and ("turning") seems to be a translators insertion
to give interiolization some context. My understanding is there seems to be
some differentiation between interiolization and internalization with some
Russian scholars. In the supplement Leontev talks a little about how one
could master all the knowledge of being a Marxist but that is not enough -
one needs more - I think he mentions something about "organic need".
Appropriation may get closer to it than say internalization - which would
include things like identity, personality etc.

What's the history with the different terminology, I know we (americans)
tend to translate it as internalization in English, but interiolization
seems to be a rather explicit differentiation that is used by Russians
scholars. I am thinking of Vygotsky's grand daughter who seems to argue for
the importance of the seperation. Vygotsky did not argue for
"internalization of" but rather "interiolization of". Is this a case of
synonyms that may have slightly different cultural connotations or is there
a major terminology difference here. Kind of like that psychical -
psychological thing where we Americans prefer the latter, but those coming
from Germany or Russia feel psychological changes the meaning some what.

Translation is such a mucky thing - its hard enough communicating
consciousness when one speaks the same language, share the same culture etc,
I can not imagine doing it from something like Russian to American and with
of course the further mediation of German.

Nate