Re: translation issues

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 11:54:20 PDT

mike,

while I don't know Russian, doesn't it make sense that the adjectival of
object is simply objective? Isn't it likely that Leont'ev himself is
translating a concept from the european philosophical language into Russian?

Etymologically, object derives from ojbectum, the past participle of the
latin objicere which means "to throw before or over against." When seen in
this light, the phrase "objective activity" makes perfect sense in the
marxist framework as "activity that stands over against the subject of the
activity as something other than the subject". In other words, alienated
labor, which has the characteristic of being outside or other than the
subject and also the quality of ideality since it is the product of
motivated activity.

What d'ya think?

Paul H. Dillon