RE: Leontiev Ch. 2 ... 3?

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 04:21:40 PDT

Paul,

The supplement looks at "reflection" in education. I think Leontev uses the
word "organic need" which might be interesting to explore.

http://members.home.net/vygotsky/leontev/Supplement.pdf

I will look to see if anything else emerges from the stuff I have. In
general, I would say "reflection" can not be understood without its
counterpart "transformation". It is not simply that internalization
"reflects" objectivity - activity - but it also goes through a
transformation of sorts. Going back to Golden Key in Activity a child may
reflect on a "natural" tree, but s/he also transforms it into a creative
piece that may not look like the original. Not a direct relationship, but a
complex process.

Organic need seems important here, and is often misinterpreted I think as
biological or individual need etc, it is our engagement in activity where
this need arises so to speak. I think this emphasis can be seen in
Vygotsky's play, art - Elkonin's piece on stages and of course the research
in Leontev's tradition. As was said I think reflection is an active not
passive process.

Nate